What’s better than a store bought burger? A homemade one! One that is made fresh and crispy! Here’s presenting Crispy Fried Chicken Burger because this is not your regular, run of the mill, store bought patty kinda burger. This one is made using a chunky slice of boneless chicken marinated in buttermilk, coated in flour and fried to perfection before being placed on layers of fresh lettuce, onion rings, tomatoes and mayo and covered between two halves of a burger bun. We paired it with homemade lettuce salad with croutons and some homemade fries. So delish! This was our first try, during the pandemic. The recipe has surfaced only now 🙂 And oh, yes, this was my son’s work. Our not so little anymore chef loves to try out a lot of recipes and create his own magic in the kitchen.
Can this burger be compared to the KFC style Chicken Burger?
Yes yes, absolutely yes! The chicken when marinated in buttermilk, coated with flour and deep fried turns out absolutely tender and juicy and very very crisp. So if you are a fan of the KFC style chicken burger then you have a winner on your hands. This is a whole(some) piece of chicken that goes between the bread so what’s not to love?
How long should the chicken be marinated?
Well, the longer you marinate it (say 8-10 hours), the better the chicken will taste as buttermilk is the key ingredient to get those flavours out. However you can’t wait for that long, then 20mins to 1 hour is good too.
How long should the chicken be fried?
Chicken breast that has been tenderized and marinated in buttermilk does cook fast. For tender, juicy chicken, please ensure that the oil is hot (but not smoking) and ready. When you drop a piece of marinated chicken (or a sticky ball of marinated flour), it should come to the surface at the count of 4 or 5. When the chicken turns golden brown it needs to be removed with a slotted spoon/spatula and placed on a kitchen tissue to help drain any excess oil. If the oil is too hot, the outside coating will burn quickly and leave the chicken inside uncooked. If the oil is not hot enough the chicken will absorb too much oil.
What kind of mayonnaise can be used?
We like to use flavoured mayonnaise as it packs in some extra punch into the burger. Chipotle or Peri Peri flavoured mayo is what we generally prefer but classic mayo works just as fine. You can skip the mayo and use only cheese slices instead.
A note on the quantity of chicken used in this recipe
In this recipe we have used 400grams of chicken which is approximately two medium sized chicken breasts. We have used this in 2 burgers and hence the nutritional values have been calculated according to this. Do note that you can divide the quantity of chicken between 3 or 4 burgers too. It really depends on how much chicken you want to eat per burger.
Crispy Fried Chicken Burger
- 400 grams chicken breasts (about 2)
- 2 Burger buns
- 4 large lettuce leaves cleaned and patted dry
- 1 large onion cut into rings
- 1 large tomato sliced into discs
- 2 cheese singles/slices you can use more
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise – plain or flavoured We used chipotle flavoured
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika or cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Make the fried chicken
- Wash the chicken and allow to drain on a colander. Then pat dry using a clean kitchen towel or Kitchen tissue. Use a meat tenderiser/mallet to pound the chicken and keep aside.
- In a bowl mix the buttermilk, garlic powder & cayenne powder. Add the chicken breasts to this and keep aside for at least 20 mins
- Heat enough oil in a deep fryer/wok/pan
- In a shallow plate mix together everything mentioned under ‘Flour mix’ and coat the marinated chicken into well.
- Gently slip the coated chicken into the hot (but not smoking) oil and fry till golden brown and tender.
- Transfer on a plate lined with kitchen tissue to drain any excess oil
Assemble the burger
- Slice a burger bun horizontally into half and spread the mayonnaise evenly.
- Place the lettuce, pickled gherkins, onion rings & tomato slices. Place the freshly fried chicken breast and top up with a slice of cheese. You can repeat the toppings if you wish before placing the remaining half of the burger bun on top.
- Serve immediately with potato fries and coleslaw
The nutritional values are only indicative.
Leave a Reply