A sure shot hit with lovers of brownies and cookies - a brookie gives you the best of both worlds!
- 100 grams all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 25 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 175 grams soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 150 grams dark chocolate chopped
- 75 grams unsalted butter at room temperature
- 50 grams chocolate chopped into small chunks or chocolate chips
- Sift the flour, baking powder & unsweetened cocoa powder a couple of times and keep aside.
- Place the 150 grams of dark chocolate in a microwave safe glass or ceramic bowl and microwave in intervals of 15 seconds at a time, stirring the mixture in between, till the chocolate is melted and without lumps. Keep aside.
- In a deep bowl, beat the butter and sugar together till pale. Add the egg and beat together again. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla extract and whisk again till incorporated.
- Add the sifted flour in parts and using a spatula, gently mix everything together. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap/cling film and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- When you are ready to bake the brookies, preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, scoop out lime sized portions of the dough and lightly roll them between your palms, do not flatten unless you want flat brookies. Place the dough balls spaced well apart on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes and remove from the oven. Let the brookies cool on the tray for about 10-15 minutes, then gently transfer them onto a wire rack and let them cool completely before serving.
Chilling the dough for 15-20 minutes is important as it will be too sticky otherwise and cause wastage by sticking to your palms while rolling. However, do not chill beyond 1 hour as the chocolate and butter will harden and rolling the dough balls will become difficult 2. If you use a standard ice cream scoop to scoop out the dough you will get large brookies. You can use 3/4th of this portion or just eyeball the quantity to ensure that you get even sized brookies.