Bread Mocha Trifle
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: Nil | Chilling time: 2-3 hrs or overnight | Serves: 4-6
- 300ml double cream (fresh cream) * see notes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 85 grams (4 large slices) fresh wholemeal bread, shredded into crumbs
- 85 grams (3 oz) dark or light soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules * see notes
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- grated chocolate to decorate
1. Whip the cream and vanilla extract in a large bowl till soft peaks appear. Keep aside
2. In another bowl mix the shredded bread, coffee granules, cocoa powder and sugar.
3. Layer the bread mixture and the whipped cream alternatively in 4 dessert or wine glasses. Divide equally. Reserve a little whipped cream to be layered on top just before serving.
4. Chill for 2-3 hours or overnight for best results
5. Sprinkle the grated chocolate just before serving.
1. You can use readily available whipped cream and skip the manual whipping. Use Amul Fresh Cream if you live in India or Al Marai Fresh Cream if you live in the UAE. I used the latter, about 3 tubs, an extra tub if you love extra cream on top.
2. Use coffee liqueur for that extra kick, but not if you are serving the dessert to kids.
3. Use your favourite instant coffee powder. I used espresso but the flavour is very intense and not suitable for those who like subtly flavoured coffee desserts.