A simple, healthy & delicious accompaniment to all kinds of South Indian rice breads or rice. Great for those looking for vegan options.
- 3/4 th cup grated coconut
- 1 small onion (or 1/2 a medium sized one chopped)
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tbsp raw mango, chopped
- 1 small piece 1/4 tsp of tamarind (optional)
- 3-4 curry leaves (karipatta) optional
- salt to taste
Grind all the ingredients with very little water to yield a thick coarse paste (don't grind it too fine). Transfer into a bowl & serve.
1. 1 tbsp raw mango is about 1 slice of a lemon sized raw mango - adjust to taste especially if you intend using the tamarind as well.
2. Instead of the curry leaves you may use mint leaves (approx 1 tbsp) or use both for an added flavour.