Basic Coconut Chutney
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: Nil | Serves 2-3
- 3/4 th cup grated coconut (only the white flesh)
- 1 small onion (or 1/2 a medium sized one) chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tbsp raw mango
- 1 small piece (1/4 tsp) of tamarind (optional)
- 3-4 curry leaves/karipatta (optional)
- salt to taste
Grind all the ingredients with very little water to yield a thick coarse paste (don’t grind it too fine). Transfer into a bowl & serve.
1. 1 tbsp raw mango is about 1 slice of a lemon sized raw mango – adjust to taste especially if you intend using the tamarind as well.
2. Instead of the curry leaves you may use mint leaves (approx 1 tbsp) or use both for an added flavour.