Spicy Dates Chutney
- 12 seedless dates
- 1/2 green chilli finely chopped * see notes
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 cloves
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 level tsp sugar
- pinch of red chilli powder * see notes
- pinch of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida)
- 1/4 tsp methi powder
- 1/4 cup water
- salt to taste
For the seasoning
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1. Cut the dates into small pieces. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadhai and toss in the curry leaves, chopped green chillies, ginger & garlic. Saute on a slow flame for a few seconds. Toss in the dates and give it a stir.
2. Turn off the flame or reduce it to a bare minimum as you toss in the powders (chilli pwd, turmeric, hing, methi) and fry quickly taking care not to burn the powders.
3. Add the vinegar and a little water & mix well. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add the salt & sugar and keep stirring till well incorporated.
4. Serve as a chutney or refrigerate for further use.
I call this a chutney as I added water to make the sauce. Originally this recipe is called a dates pickle and calls for 1/2 cup oil – I wanted to reduce the oil & hence used just 2 tbsp of it.
If you like more spice in your chutney/pickle, increase the green chillies & red chilli powder as per spice tolerance.
Adapted from: Spicy Chilly