New here? Subscribe to my free newsletters with my latest recipes!
Tried my recipe? Do leave a comment on this post down below and don’t forget to give it a star rating! It will really help more readers discover my recipes! Do share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #ruchikrandhaprecipe and tag me @ruchikrandhap and I will feature your post in my stories!
Don’t forget to check out my latest videos on my YouTube channel. If you like what you see, do give me a thumbs-up (like), share & comment and subscribe to my channel so that the gods of YouTube (a.k.a algorithms) recommend my channel to a wider audience with similar tastes and more & more people can discover my videos! I also share quick 30 second videos on Reels on Instagram so don’t forget to check them out!
And while you’re here, do follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. If you’d like to say hello or have detailed queries do send an email at [email protected]. I’d love to hear from you!
Simple Chicken Risotto
- 250-300 grams boneless chicken
- 1-1/2 cups arborio rice
- 4-5 cups chicken stock * see notes
- 3 fat cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- a sprinkling or two of mixed dried herbs
- 1/4 cup or more cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup or more sour cream (substitute with fresh cream)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup or more mozzarella or parmesan cheese
- fresh basil leaves or rosemary sprigs
- Wash the rice in a couple of changes of water and keep aside.
- Wash, drain and then cut the chicken into strips. Marinate with salt, pepper and a few dried herbs and keep aside for 10 minutes, then shallow fry them till the chicken is tender. You can leave the chicken in bite sized chunks or shred it to bits.
- Heat the butter and oil together a large wok – keep the heat on a medium low to avoid the butter from burning quickly.
- Toss in the minced garlic and fry for a minute and then add the onions and fry till they turn translucent (pale pink).
- Add about 4 cups of the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Add the washed rice, half of the cheddar cheese, half of the sour cream, a good sprinkling of the mixed herbs and salt & pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat to a medium low and cook for 15-16 minutes, stirring in between. If you like the risotto to be grainy then you need not add more stock, otherwise, top it up with some extra stock.
- Add the shallow fried chicken and the rest of the cheddar cheese and sour cream and cook for another half a minute. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with the mozzarella or parmesan cheese, pepper if desired and the fresh herbs. Serve hot.
2. Arborio or risotto rice is available in most well stocked supermarkets in India and abroad. It resembles the Indian boiled rice but is whiter in color in comparison to the boiled rice which is pale/creamish.
The nutritional values are only indicative.
Leave a Reply