Here’s the video of how to make Kerala Plum Cake ! I hope you enjoy it!
If you liked this video please do subscribe to my channel! Also, like, share & comment on it! It will really really motivate me to shoot more videos!
- 500 gms dry fruits * see note#1
- 2 tbsp jam or fruit preserve/conserve of your choice
- 1/2 cup orange juice (freshly extracted preferably)
- 90gm /6 tbsp sugar
- 75ml/5 tbsp rum + extra to pour over the cakes (optional)
- 15ml/1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground clove (or 12 cloves powdered)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (or 1 inch stick cinnamon powdered)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (or 1/2 nutmeg powdered)
For the cake:
- 250 gms / 1-1/3rd cups unsalted butter
- 200 gms/ 1cup+2 tbsp powdered or caster sugar *see note#2
- 5 eggs separated (place all egg whites in one bowl & each yolk in a separate bowl)
- 90gm / 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- 200 gms / 1-2/3rd cups all purpose flour /plain flour (maida)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100 gms (approx 1 cup) cashewnuts or walnuts roughly chopped
- 180ml / 3/4th cup milk (at room temperature)
- 50gms / 1/3rd cup semolina/rawa
- pinch of salt
For the Caramel (which gives the dark colour to the cake):
- 300gm/ 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4th cup hot water (freshly boiled)
Place the sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan (or kadhai) over medium flame. The colour will slowly change from white to brown to deep brown (almost black). Simmer & stir continuously to keep the liquid from frothing over.
Add freshly boiled hot water a little at a time and stir it. Ensure to keep at a safe distance as the boiling liquid can splutter on your face. Watch out!