So I am back after yet another mini break. This time I was busy with my brother and his family who are in town and came over to spend some quality time with us. The kids had a blast, the adults relaxed at home and ate out a lot - mostly at tried and tested restaurants and I thoroughly enjoyed all the Italian fare I had at Cafe Mangi, Versova - so much so that I am actually looking forward to eating out again this weekend.
After all the heavy duty eating (a.k.a hogging), we decided that our systems needed a break and so I pulled out some ingredients from my fridge and pantry to make this lovely soup. I haven't posted many soup recipes, simply because I don't click any pictures when its soup time for us. Secondly, I hate clicking pictures at night with no natural light around, so I chuck the entire plan of doing a photo shoot. However, this soup was just so simple and delicious that I had to grab a picture before the soup vanished.
R & I are soup people - especially clear soups. The addition of pasta and vegetables or chicken is always welcome as it adds more substance to an otherwise plain clear soup. This soup goes really well with some plain slices of bread especially multi-grain bread - even better if you can toast them a bit before serving. There's nothing like a hot soup accompanied by a warm slice of bread (buttered or not) when it is pouring cats, dogs & donkeys outside, is there?
Garlicky Spaghetti & Vegetable Clear Soup
Prep time:15 mins | Cooking time: 10mins | Serves: 2-3
- 1/2 pod (about 12-13 cloves) garlic finely chopped or grated
- 1 tbsp paprika/chilli flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 cup boneless chicken cut into tiny pieces * see notes
- 1/2 a yellow or green zucchini cut into small cubes * see notes
- 50-75gm spaghetti (or use pasta of your choice)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups (approx) water
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley or coriander (optional)
- 1/2 a stock cube (I used maggi)
- 1 tbsp grated cheddar cheese
1. Cook spaghetti or pasta as per instructions on the package (*see notes). Drain, refresh with cold water & keep aside.
2. In a heavy bottomed saucepan heat the olive oil and toss in the garlic and chicken pieces. Fry for a couple of minutes before adding the paprika & zucchini and continue to fry for another minute.
3. Add the water and bring the soup to a boil. Add salt to taste or the additional flavouring items as mentioned above. Mix in the spaghetti and simmer for half a minute. Garnish with chopped coriander/parsley and serve hot.
If you like you can skip the chicken and replace it with any other vegetable like french beans,carrot or potato.
Do not add too much cheese as you don't want it to mask the flavour of garlic which should be dominant.
If you intend to use the stock cube then use salt sparingly.
To cook spaghetti, place water in a large pan and bring it to a boil, add the spaghetti, salt to taste & a few drops of oil and continue to cook for 7 minutes and then drain. This gives you spaghetti that is al-dente (90% cooked)