Moong Dal Ke Cheelay
- split green gram, skinless (moong dal) - 1 cup
- jeera (cumin seeds) - 1tsp
- green chillies - 2 (or 1 if you prefer less spicy)
- asafoetida (hing) - a pinch
- salt to taste
- cottage cheese (paneer) - 100gms
- chopped onion - 1/2 cup
- chopped tomato - 1/2 cup
- chopped coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- oil for frying
1. Clean the Moong dal and soak it in 2 cups of water for about 2 hours.
2. Grind it to a fine paste with cumin seeds & green chillies. Dissolve hing in 2 tbsp water and mix it into the dal. Add salt to taste & mix well.
3. Grate paneer and mix chopped onions, tomatoes & coriander. Add salt to taste & chilli powder. Set aside
4. Heat 1 tsp oil on a tawa/frying pan and spread 1 ladleful of batter in the centre and gently spread to make a palm size pancake. Let it cook for half a minute on medium heat.
5. Spread 2 tbs of paneer topping over the cheela. Sprinkle some oil to the sides and cook for about 15-20 seconds and flip over. Cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle some more oil to the sides of the Cheela and turn it over again. Cook for another minute or so and then remove
6. Serve hot with mint chutney or Tomato Garlic Chutney.