A couple of years ago I would not have had the guts to try out rice/vermicelli recipes with the sheer thought of ruining them owing to wrong amount of water used. After some practice (and a lot of mistakes) I can dish out yummy biryanis blindfolded (well almost!:)) However, vermicelli for breakfast was something I had not tried my hand at but ofcourse Sanjeev Kapoor came to my rescue & I made a simple, mess-proof vermicelli breakfast dish which was delicious as it was nutritious. Here's how...
- 1 cup vermicelli (I used MTR Vermicelli which i found is far better than other brands)
- 1/4 cup each of carrots (cubed), french beans (julienne), peas, potatoes, cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 2-3 curry leaves (washed & dried - you dont want them spluttering hot oil on ur face!)
- 1 green chillie minced
- 1/2 tsp urad dal (black gram)
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (optional - only for the colour)
1. Boil 2 and half cups of water and cook vermicelli for about 1 min. Leave it slightly undone (90% cooked). Drain well and refresh it with cold water. Drain and keep aside
2. In 2 cups of boiling water add potatoes and carrots and boil for 2 mins. Add beans, cauliflower, peas and boil for a further 2-3minutes. Drain, cool & set aside
3. In a wok heat some oil, add mustard and when they splutter add the curry leaves, stir for 2-3 seconds
4. Toss in the udad dal and stir till they become pale brown & immediately add the onions and stir well
5. When the onions begin to brown a little add the green chillies and fry.
6. Add turmeric powder and toss in the cooked veggies and stir fry for a further 2-3 minutes
7. Add the vermicelli and stir gently till all the masala is mixed well.
8. Serve hot