While I shuddered at the thought of having liver when I was little, I slowly learnt to enjoy the delectable flavour which is so different from the rest of the meat. When I started to cook, liver as an item by itself never figured out on my menu and I didnt know how to cook it either. Sometime ago I was browsing through one of the recipe books handed to me by my mom. The author is unknown to this day as the book is all torn & dilapidated. However the outcome of what I tried was quite interesting & tasty. The combination of onion, shredded carrots & potatoes lends a very nice texture & a kind of sweetness to the otherwise bitter liver and balances it on the whole along with other Indian spices such as the dried red chilly, coriander & garam masalas.
The picture above depicts a slight alteration in the way I cut the potatoes & carrots. Instead of shredding them I just cut them into tiny cubes (just to save time and ofcourse cuz I couldnt find the shredder!!)
Chicken Liver Fry
To fry the liver:
- 400 gms liver, washed, cut into slices and dried
- 3 dtsp flour (maida)
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- salt to taste
For the masala:
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup grated potatoes
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro) for garnishing
1. Mix flour, pepper powder & salt and coat the liver slices with this mixture (take care to ensure the liver pieces are dried or else u'l have a sticky mess on ur fingers :)
2. Shallow fry the pieces on both sides & remove
3. In the same oil fry the onions. When they turn golden brown add chilly powder, garam masala powder & coriander powder & 1 tsp of lime juice.
4. Add the shredded veggies and stir fry for about 3-4 minutes
5. Add 1/2 cup water and simmer for about 3 minutes
6. Add the shallow fried liver and mix well. Simmer for another 3-4 minutes
7. Garnish with chopped coriander and turn off the flame.
8. Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from: 'Recipes For All Occasions' by B.F Varghese